Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Another Driver Enters the Highway

Yesterday was mixed with pride and somewhat reserved reluctance as I took my youngest son to the local DMV to get his learners permit. This in and of itself is a far stretch from the old me who told his oldest son a short seven years ago that it would be a cold day in hell before I was paying for drivers ED, let alone the astronomical costs of the insurance hike that a teen boy would bring to the policy. You parents out there who have put a teen in a car know exactly what I am talking about.

I did the math when my oldest was in high school and it was looking like a total increase of more than $1500.00 year. Yikes! just so my kid could hit the road. Not a chance. I told the young lad that if he really wanted to drive, that he would find a way to make it work. Needless to say he just really never pushed the issue. His mother blames me for him not having his license today at age 22, but if you ask him he really doesn't care. Quite frankly I don't think I do either. He has made a decision not to become a licensed driver until he can afford a car and insurance. Sounds like a solid plan to me. I will save my older son's departure from reality for a later post.

Anyway, son number two turns 16 four years later and old dad has mellowed just a bit. Now I'm not as concerned with hell freezing over as I am with my own comfort or discomfort level. Let me explain. I have spent the last six years being a chauffeur to my boys, ferrying them back and fourth to this event or that and I was just worn down. So with a less than accepting attitude, I paid for son number two to get his license and even sprung for the insurance. Did I mention I also bought a 3rd car.

What a blessing it turned out to be. I mean yeah  it was quite a bit of money at first, but I started thinking about it. I now had another licensed driver in the house that could assume the role of head chauffeur. He could not only ferry his own ass to school and back but he could now take his younger brother as well. It was great, I could come and go as I pleased without worrying about somebody needing to be picked up. I sent this kid everywhere that I didn't want to go, and like any teen who just got their license will attest he was more than willing to get behind the wheel and drive.

Two years passed and to my joy and total amazement, my son had turned into a great driver. I did not worry about him in the least behind the wheel. Everyone else, most definitely yes but my son no. The day came when my chauffeur son left for college and I had to assume the role of head chauffeur one more time. My youngest was a year away from a license and it was back to being a ferry for every little thing.

However, today is another day. My baby boy (well not so baby) joins the ranks of the elite. We went to the DMV and procured a permit so that he can take his drivers ED class. I can honestly say that the third child is the easiest. I no longer have any reservation about cost or time spent.  My only fear is that I will now have even less time to spend with my child. Being the last one in the house has made him feel very special and I don't want him to lose that feeling. In four short months God, and the DMV willing my youngest will have his license.

Now I know some of you will never have to deal with the pain that is associated with launching another driver onto the highway. However if you do I offer this one piece of advice:
Always look at the bigger picture to find the greater good, because the greater good is always in the picture.

Photo courtesy of: www.flickr.com/photos/insurance_funny_haha_lol/4852133780/

2 comments:

  1. Well it has been quite a while now since the inception of this post. Son number three has turned into a great driver and has proven himself worthy of praise. To all who are looking for hope, stop looking and start doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been a couple years since I posted this article to my blog. As a form of update I just want to say that my youngest got his license and he is a great driver. He still lives at home and is still on our insurance policy. However, we made that deal with him till he finishes college. Its worked out great.

    On a side note My oldest finally got his license at age 27. We paid for an adult drivers Ed class and the cost of the actual license but he did the rest. He now thinks we owe him a car. Fat chance......

    ReplyDelete